We’ve pulled together some support and advice from the South Oxfordshire District Council’s website, to help you get the support you need.

Household Support Fund (South Oxfordshire District Council)

If you need help because you are struggling financially or if you are just finding life difficult, there is support available. Whether it’s practical support or just advice, get in touch:

In February, the Chancellor announced the Household Support Fund extension. A further £842 million has been made available for Local Authorities in England to support those most in need due to the significant rises in living costs.

South Oxfordshire District Council are currently working with local partners to determine how best to support our residents through this Household Support Fund extension. Any updates will be posted on the website.

You can find more information about the scheme on the Government website.

Open, office hours.

Food support

If you or someone you know is struggling to afford food, there are services that can help. You can find out more information here.

Council tax

If you are facing any difficulties paying your council tax for any reason, including loss of work or a reduction of income, contact the South Oxfordshire District Council as soon as possible on 0345 302 2313 or email sodc.counciltax@secure.capita.co.uk.

If you are currently not being paid, or are on a low income and are struggling to pay your bills, please apply for Council Tax Reduction – your account will then be put on hold for 30 days while your application is processed.

The £150 ‘rebate’ is available to most households in England whose primary residence is valued in council tax bands A to D.  Find out more about the payment on our support for energy prices council tax rebate webpage.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit for working age people who are on low income or out of work. The scheme is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Find out more about Universal credit on this webpage.

Other support available from government

If you are in urgent need of financial assistance, you may be eligible for other government benefits.

Visit the government’s claiming employment and benefit support website or visit your local job centre for more information.

If you are claiming a low-income benefit you may also be entitled to a £650 Cost of Living Payment. To find out more, visit the government’s Cost of Living Payment information page.

Claiming Employment and Support Allowance

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work or if you cannot work while you are unwell. It’s also available for people who are employed, self-employed or unemployed. You can find out more information and if you’re eligible on the government’s website.

Statutory Sick Pay

Your employer has a responsibility to pay you statutory sick pay if you’re too ill to work. There’s more information about statutory sick page, on the government’s website.

Support for self-employed

If you are self-employed you can find out more about the self-employment income support scheme on the governments website.

Debt advice

Free debt advice is available from the National Debt line – their number is 0808 808 4000.

Citizens Advice Oxfordshire South and Vale can provide you with free, confidential advice via 0300 330 9042.

(Citizens Advice Oxfordshire South and Vale offer an Outreach Service in Wallingford Baptist Church every other Wednesday 9:30am – 12:30pm, from 17th May). Adviceline : 0808 278 7907.

The Money Advice Service also provides free debt advice on 0800 138 1677.

Household Benefit

If you rent a home from another person, or housing association and you’re on a low income, you may be entitled to help with paying your rent.

Find out more about housing benefit on this housing benefit webpage.

Discretionary Housing Payment

These are short term financial payments that can help with shortfalls in rent for residents receiving either Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs.

Each application is considered on its own merits. Find out if you’re eligible and apply for Discretionary Housing Benefit here.

Mortgage payment support

The Department of Works and Pensions may be able to help towards the interest payments through Support for Mortgage Interest. See the government’s mortgage payment support page for information on how to apply.

Advice if you’re renting

The government has produced advice and guidelines about what you should do if you’re having difficulty paying your rent. It also explains what your landlord should and shouldn’t be doing.

Help with improving your home

If you need financial support to help insulate or make adaptions to your home, take a look at this home improvements website page to see if you’re eligible.

You can also visit the Better Housing, Better Health website, which gives you free impartial advice on managing debts from your fuel bills, repairing or replacing your heating and energy saving tips that help to save you money.

Top 10 ways to save money on your energy bills 

Warm Spaces


Find a warm and welcoming space here:




Monday: 9.30am-4pm The Living Room at Wallingford Baptist Church / 9.30am – 5.30pm Wallingford Library


Tuesday: 10am-12pm Fountain Community Hub / 12pm – 4pm Wallingford Methodist Church / 9.30am – 5.30pm Wallingford Library


Wednesday: 10am-12pm Fountain Community Hub


Thursday: 10am -2pm Fountain Community Hub / 9.30am – 7pm Wallingford Library


Friday: 10am-12pm Fountain Community Hub / 9.30am – 5pm Wallingford Library


Saturday: 9.30am – 1pm Wallingford Library

This information was correct at the time of publication, please check with individual venues before travelling.

Health and wellbeing

Looking after our mental health and wellbeing is important.  There are a variety of organisations and websites that may be able to offer you the support, advice and help you need – whether in person, over the phone, via text, self-help or in group community settings:


  • The Every Mind Matters website offers advice and practical steps that people can take to support their wellbeing and manage their mental health
  • If you or someone you know is elderly and feeling lonely, Age UK have information and advice on their website
  • The Marmalade Trust is a charity dedicated to raising awareness of loneliness and helping people to make new friendships
  • The Hub of Hope can also be accessed to find local sources of mental health support and services, both from the NHS and from other organisations
  • Rehab Recovery provides information on addiction treatment options for all

If you’d prefer to speak to someone you can contact:

  • Connection Support is a local charity that provides a flexible and tailored support and advice to adults and families in Oxfordshire. You can contact them on 01865 711267.
  • Samaritans – if you’re having a hard time, they can provide you with advice and support. Call them anytime on 116 123.
  • Mind National Mental Health Charity. Call their information line on 0300 123 3393.
  • CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) is a charity that supports men under 45 years old with mental health issues. You can call them on 0800 58 58 58.

Staying physically active

Staying active is one way you can help improve your mood and mental health.