Wallingford Town Councillors

Volunteer Local Councillor’s are elected by the community to decide how the council should carry out its various activities. They represent public interest as well as individuals living within Wallingford in which they have been elected to serve.

Wallingford has 16 Councillor’s including the Mayor.

Every Councillor has a duty to act properly and to abide by the adopted Code of Conduct, to attend meetings of the Council, to declare interests as appropriate (Local Government Act 2000, part III) and to represent the electorate as a whole.

Councillor’s have regular contact with the general public through Council Meetings, telephone calls and emails. To find out more about your Councillor’s, which committees and working parties they are on and contact details, please see below.


Town Councillors are volunteers and are not paid a salary for their work. Some councils pay an allowance, but Wallingford Town Councillors do not receive any allowance other than the very occasional reimbursement of expenses such as mileage. By law, all members of the Council are required to complete a declaration of interest form, the details of which are published annually. To view the registers of interest for Wallingford Town Councillors visit the SODC website.

Support and Training

Town Councillor’s are offered support and training throughout their term of office, both from Town Council officers and from sector bodies such as the National Association of Local Councils and the Local Government Association.

Code of Conduct

All Town Councillor’s must agree to abide by the Town Council’s Code of Conduct.

Please click here for the Council’s Code of Conduct

Please click here for The Good Councillor’s Guide The Good Councillor’s Guide


If you need to make a complaint about a Town Councillor, please write to :

Town Clerk – Wallingford Town Council, 8a Castle Street, Wallingford OX10 8DL

or email : townclerk@wallingfordtowncouncil.gov.uk

Make a change and become a councillor

If you think you could spare the time and have something to offer the community please write to the town council office, or email cllr.sue.hendrie@wallingfordtowncouncil.gov.uk

Why not come along to one of the events we will be organising in the run-up to elections to explain what we do at all levels of local government:

  • Thursday 9th Feb 9pm: Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Wallingford live on Wallingford Radio


  • Saturday 25th Feb 10am – 2pm: ‘Wallingford for All Day’ – meet the councillors at the Town Hall


  • Thursday 2nd March – 7pm – 8pm: ‘Have a chat’ with councillors in the Town Hall


  • Thursday 16th March – 7pm – 8pm: ‘Join us to complete the paperwork to become a councillor’ in the Town Hall

Oxfordshire Association of Local Councils (OALC) is holding a series of free online sessions via Zoom for those who are looking to become a councillor for the first time.  The sessions are one hour long, no need to book, on:

  1. 13 February 10am-11am
  2. 15 March 2pm-3pm

If you know someone who may be interested, please send them this Zoom link, along with the joining detail:

  1. Meeting ID: 871 2501 2109
  2. Passcode: 386520

The OALC have also provided this useful presentation. Further information can be found on the OALC website.

Can anyone stand for election as a Town Councillor?

Yes, if you are a British Commonwealth or European Citizen aged 18 years or over and meet any one of the following criteria :

  • You are on the electoral roll for the town.
  • You have lived in the town, or within 3 miles of it, for the previous 12 months.
  • You have occupied any land or premises in the town for the previous 12 months.
  • Your main place of work is within the town.

You can find out more by visiting the Electoral Commission Website

Vacancies which arrive between elections, known as a casual vacancy, are filled by by-elections or by the Town Council choosing new councillors (co-option). Vacancies will be advertised on our ‘Job Vacancies’ page.

Please click here for the Town Councillor Job Description Parish Councillor Job Description

If you have any questions regarding becoming a Councillor, please contact Wallingford Town Council Office on 01491 835373.