Come and join us at Wallingford Town Council
Wallingford Museum is a colourful, delightfully intimate and family friendly local history museum on two floors of a medieval building in the heart of Wallingford.
From the Museum windows you can see the remains of the great ramparts of Alfred’s planned town.
Entirely run by volunteers, Wallingford Museum celebrated its official birthday in 2021.
Please visit the Wallingford Museum website for updated information, opening times and entry pricing.
See, do and discover
- Wallingford’s Saxon walls and Royal Castle
- Murder Mystery links, including Midsomer Murders and Agatha Christie ‘The Queen of Crime’
- The Wallingford Story
- A Victorian Street scene (life sized)
- Wallingford Castle Model
- Roman burials from Crowmarsh
- Hands on areas including the smelly feely drawers and archaeology sandpits
- and……… the all important gift shop
Special Exhibitions for 2022
“NEW” Model of Wallingford Castle
Wallingford Museum’s dedicated team of researchers collaborated with architectural model maker, Ben Taggart, to create a 1:300 scale model (1.5mx1.6m) of Wallingford’s royal castle as it may have been in the mid-14th Century.
Drawing on 15 years of research, the castle’s history (has been unravelled), using archaeology, geophysical surveys, LiDAR, maps, and the transcription, translation and analysis of many documentary records. The culmination of all this research is this magnificent model of the castle at the height of its power, in the 1330’s, set in the north-eastern quarter of the town.
Accompanying displays present the story of the research documentary and archaeological – that informed the layout of the model and how it was beautifully created for the museum by Ben Taggart.
Other exhibitions for 2022
For further information on upcoming exhibitions, more about the museum and events at the museum please visit the website.
Please visit the website for the latest information including opening times, admission prices and up to date information.
Wallingford Museum, Flint House, 52 High Street, Wallingford OX10 0DB
Single accessible toilet for visitors
- Flat floor access to all ground floor areas
- Due to the age of the building, upper galleries may not be possible for people who find the stairs too challenging.
- Accompanying carers offered free entry