The Regal Centre
CLOSURE OF WALLINGFORD'S REGAL CENTRE
The building, which dates from 1934 and which the Council acquired in 1975, is in need of serious remedial works which include both the fire detection and heating systems. The Council must also consider the ever increasing financial demands of maintaining the building and to understand how to balance spending of limited funds in the best interests of the town. The safety of the users of the Regal is paramount in our thoughts and we consider it inappropriate to allow continued use of the building while we conduct the necessary studies.
The Council recognises that this is a much valued facility serving a range of leisure, community and market-trading activities and which brings wide ranging benefits to the town. We will be working to either re-open or replace the Regal as a matter of urgency and a working party has been established to look at all options. We will of course be consulting with residents and users in the forthcoming months. We appreciate the disruption this will cause the current users of the building and are working with them to find alternative facilities in and around the town. The Council also welcomes grant applications from these groups to help them adapt to this unfortunate decision.
This is not an action which the Council has taken lightly but we believe it is the right one to both protect users of the Regal and to provide the best facilities for Wallingford in the future.